Attorney General Mike DeWine is offering charitable giving tips for those who plan to donate to this holiday season.
DeWine encourages Ohioans to determine in advance which charity or charities to support. He says most charitable organizations that operate in Ohio or here for donations must file with the Ohio Attorney General’s Office, and more than 36,000 organizations have so far done just that.
When researching charities, the Attorney General recommends that you do the following:
• Check compliance with the Ohio Attorney General’s Office. Visit www.OhioAttorneyGeneral.gov or call 800–282-0515.
• Verify the organization’s tax-exempt status with the IRS.
• View the organization’s IRS Form 990 through the GuideStar website, www.guidestar.org.
• Gather data from watchdog groups including the Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance, Charity Navigator and Charity Watch.
• Do a basic Internet search to review a group’s accomplishments or questionable activity.
• Contact the organization itself and find out how your donation will be used.
Finally, if you suspect questionable charity activity, contact the Ohio Attorney General’s Office.